Netgear Genie User Manual
Now you can do multiple tasks with Netgear Genie. Either it’s doing managing, monitoring, and repairing your home network or simply automatically repairing common wireless network problems, Ll comes handy with Netgear Genie. This Netgear Genie User manual will open the door for numerous features like Live Parental Controls, guest access, broadband usage meter, speed test, and much more. Here is the below mentioned Netgear Genie user manual:
- The first step to proceed further with Netgear Genie user manual is to download the free app Netgear genie from the website:
http://www.NETGEAR.com/genie. There find the Download button and then Click the Download Now button. When the downloading will finish then install NETGEAR Genie, it starts automatically. If in case you want to use it after some time or you want to use NETGEAR Genie later, click the icon on your desktop or in the Windows taskbar. Also, you have the choice to restart the Netgear Genie app, all you have to do is to you can right-click the icon, select Settings, then clear the Enable Autostart check box.
Netgear Genie setup with a router
- In the first step connect the computer to your NETGEAR router either with Ethernet cable (wired) or you can also connect it with wirelessness. After doing this select the NETGEAR Genie icon on your desktop. The NETGEAR Genie screen will display.
Netgear Genie Home screen
- When you see the dashboard it would have a set of information including your Internet connection and network, router setting, Network map, parental control, Readyshare. When you see the left menu it has detailed information about Internet and Monitor and repair Internet connectivity issues, for both wired and wireless connections. Another set of information included is WiFi Connection, View or change the wireless settings for your router.
- With other options like Router Settings, Log in to your router to view or change its settings. Also, about Network map and View network devices connected to your network. And Parental Controls, Manage parental controls to protect devices in your network from inappropriate contents. The set of information includes is ReadySHARE also you find that If you connected a USB storage device to the USB port on the router, then you can access its contents.
Support FAQs are available on the PC without an Internet connection. You can get answers to common router issues here. There are some simple network tools are available to help you debug the network as well.
Netgear Genie setup
In order to have access to some NETGEAR Genie features, you will have to log in to your router.
- Go into the router settings, this option situated at the left side of the window pane in the fourth option. Here Log In to the Router
To access some NETGEAR Genie features, you have to log in to your router. Here Enter admin for the username and passwordfor the router password, both in lowercase letters. The router username and password are case-sensitive. The username and password are different from the username and password you might get from your Internet service provider.
- To modify router settings, Select Router Settings and then Enter admin for the username. For the router password, enter a password
if you did not change it, or enter the password that you set up. Please remember that the router username and password are case-sensitive.
- A new screen will show up, summing up the information like Wireless Settings, ReadySHARE, Guest Access, Traffic Meter, Router Update
getting familiar with Netgear Genie
- In the Internet feature, you can fix your internet connection easily. If your Internet connection is not working, the Internet pane on the Home screen is red then you select Internet, NETGEAR Genie tries to detect the problem
- Section of Wifi connection lets you have a glimpse on wireless networks in your area, and to select and join a wireless network. Also, have a view Wi-Fi channel in use in your area, and view information about guest access to your network if your router supports a guest network.
- Another section of wifi channel you network will be always highlighted as in blue color. There you will find that the yellow shows other networks in your area. In many wireless networks at your location using the same channel as your wireless network, you might
experience interference. You can change the wireless channel of your network here. Note that many countries and geographic locations have laws or guidelines about which channels can be used. Depending on your location, some channels might not be available.
Another feature allows you to view and change wireless settings. The option named as Wireless settings you can View the current basic wireless settings for your router, including the wireless name (SSID), the channel selection, and the password if your network uses wireless security.
Modify wireless settings
To do the wireless settings modifications Select Router Settings and then Wireless Settings, and click Modify. When a new screen opens up then do the modifications as required and then click Apply so that they take effect. If you are wirelessly connected to the router, you will lose your wireless connection.
Export router’s wireless settings
In this option, You can use the Wireless Export Wizard to export the router’s wireless settings to a USB device such as a flash drive. Then you can connect the USB device to another computer so it easily connects wirelessly to your home network. in order to export your wireless settings, select Router Settings > Wireless Settings, and click Export. After doing so please Click Next, and follow the wizard steps to export your wireless settings to a USB storage device.
Netgear Genie Readyshare feature
To use this Netgear Genie feature your router must be compatible with the Readyshare feature. If your router has a USB port that supports ReadySHARE, you can use this screen. Select Router Settings and then go to the ReadySHARE and then the Readyshare mode. Also if it is your premium router model then you will have access to Readyshare premium features like Some premium router models include extra ReadySHARE features. The router shown in the previous figure supports Basic ReadySHARE features.
Netgear Genie Guest Access feature
- To use this Netgear Genie feature your router must be compatible with the Guest access If your router supports a guest wireless network, you can view and change the settings.
- A guest network allows others to use your wireless router to access the Internet, but not content on other computers or devices on the same network. To use this feature Select Router Settings and then move to Guest Access, and click on modify option. For example, you can enable or disable guest access.
- When you click on the guest access, and When you have filled in the fields with the settings that you want, click Apply. A message will appear saying ‘changing settings can disruptive traffic on the wireless network. Do you want to continue.’ This is to remind you that when the wireless network settings for your network change, computers or devices that are currently accessing the network wirelessly might lose their connection. Now click on OK to proceed. A message displays asking you to wait while the changes take effect. You will have 3 options like refresh, modify or log out.
Netgear Genie Traffic meter feature
Netgear Genie Guest Access feature has the main function to work as internet traffic monitor. The traffic meter measures Internet traffic. If your router includes this feature, select Router Settings and then Traffic Meter. You will have multiple options like refresh, Enable, Disable, modify or log out.
Netgear Genie Router update feature
Now downloading and updating Router firmware is not a Techie geek task. You can simply do this with your Netgear Genie app. by using this Netgear Genie app You can check for new firmware for your router and update the router to the latest version. Select Router Settings and go to the Update and click on Next option. Or cancel.
Netgear Genie Network Map feature
This feature allows you to see the network map which shows the router’s Internet connection, and also displays computers and devices that are connected to your router. A good connection is shown in green. A red line indicates a connection that is not working. Here you will have a choice to click a device icon to see more information about the device and can change its network type if the map itself does not automatically find its type. If in case you select the Notify me of new devices that connect to my network check box, then every time a new device joins your network, you will get a notice on this PC through NETGEAR Genie
Netgear Genie Parental controls feature
- To set up parental control feature select the Parental control option below the Network map. Now click on Next. There you will be prompted to either use your OpenDNS account or to create a free Open DNS account. Follow the instruction a shown over the screen to log in to your account and to set up Parental Controls.
Other Netgear Genie feature
In ReadyShare USB storage, You can view information about a USB storage device that is connected to the product family’s USB port here. lick the ReadyShare button to display and click on continue. If it is your premium router then you can view information about a USB storage device that is connected to the product family’s USB port here. Click the ReadyShare button to display
Here are some other relevant links, you might find interesting: